"How interesting it would be, if it is true that the statue exists, to bring it to light and build it on the square of our station!"
These are the words that Dr Paul COURRENT wrote when he discussed the thoughts of Marius CATHALA regarding the archaeological remains found at Rennes-les-Bains. CATHALA had been shown a marble "arm holding an egg" - which he thought was part of a larger statue. He also associated it with a find in the courtyard of La Maison Chaleleau [a local hotel] & therefore perhaps directly with a statue that Henri Boudet had seen and found [this is discussed in the next issue of the Rhedesium Journal].
Above - the arm holding an egg statue remains as drawn by a local witness.
"Then, at the ridge of Cap de l'Homme on the top of a menir, in front of the pagan temple, converted into a Christian church later destroyed by fire, was carved a beautiful head of the Savior looking out over the valley, and dominating all these Celtic monuments which had lost their teachings. The cross, victorious over paganism, has not ceased to reign in the cromleck of Rennes-les-Bains, and still maintains, engraved in the religious hearts of its inhabitants, the precepts of life given to the world by the Eternal Truth".
Would the Roman Temple he described to Rouzaud be the pagan temple, converted into a Christian church that he mentions here? Are remanants of the Roman Temple to b found near the church at Rennes-les-Bains? After all the ancient foundations are actually not far from the church as described by Boudet. His book was published in 1886 - so did Boudet already know of this Temples' existence? Maybe that is why he did so much archaeological investigation?